Sunday, March 28, 2010

Education: Textbooks?

He is in 5th grade. I went to the principal and asked if I could tutor him. The response was extremely enthusiastic and a done deal within minutes. The principal and the teacher were glad this boy was getting some attention. My impression was that they thought attention would keep him out of trouble and, from the teacher, out of the classroom where he clearly did not belong.

He cannot read a word. His class has been studying the Civil War for over 20 pages in the textbook, which was given to me to use with him. I asked him what war he was studying. He thought and thought and finally answered, “It has something to do with a hill.”

I scrapped the textbook after one night of trying to read it. I swear textbooks destroy brain cells. I told the boy that I didn’t like the book. He looked surprised and then pleased. He said, “It’s boring, isn’t it?”

This boy thinks he is stupid because he cannot read and the kids give him a hard time about it. I have seen many instances where kids who cannot read at all are required to read out loud in front of their peers. I can’t for life of me figure out why that is considered acceptable behavior. But, he is not stupid. He is very smart which I am trying to get across to him.

2 comments:

  1. I just ran across this and it seems relevant.

    http://guysread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And...

    Of course textbooks are boring. Committees sit and determine which factoids of history should be learned, and the textbook is written to include all of them.

    The subject is hiSTORY.

    There is a nearly endless supply of great reading books of history and biography, the reading of any one of which would lead to more learning than the entirety of textbooks.

    But the rub is that any such book inevitably has a bias of some kind or another. No liberal would allow the use of a book with a conservative bias without protest, and vice versa.

    Where is it written that all students have to read the same book and learn the same things?

    ReplyDelete